Press freedom in a Nordic modern media landscape
The conference is over
10.00 Opening of the conference
• Minister of Transport and Communications, Anne Berner (FIN)
• President of Nordic Federation of Journalists, Thomas Spence (N)
AM session: The current state of the Nordics
10.15 Nordic legislation concerning media
• An assessment of legislation on media and journalists in the Nordic countries, by the director of IPI, Scott Griffen (A)
• Access to information act, professor em. Oluf Jørgensen (DK)
10.50 Impact of legislation and civic society on media freedom, equality, and safety
• Moderator, president of the Finnish Union of Journalists, Hanne Aho (FIN)
• Journalist at Kringvarp Føroyar, Liljan Weihe (FO) about a libel case
• Executive director of the Modern Media Institute in Reykjavik, Guðjón Idir Guðnýjarson (IS) on new Icelandic Media legislation
• Journalist Brigitte Alfter (DK) on the challenges of digital media
• Senior researcher Aina Landsverk Hagen (N) on online threats against journalists
• Ulrica Widsell (S) on self-censorship (tbc)
12.00 New voices: How refugees regard Nordic media.
• Moderator, journalist at Information, Charlotte Aagaard (DK)
• Syrian refugee journalist Lilas Hatahet
• Syrian refugee journalist Ali Alabdallah
• Iranian refugee journalist Leila Saadati
• Afghan refugee (tbc)
13.00 Lunch break
PM session: Nordic contributions to the international development
14.00 PM session opening
• Dagfinn Høybråten (N)
14.15 Dunja Mijatovic, OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, key note speaker on the development of media freedom
14.45 Media development organizations in the Nordic countries has increasingly contributed to media freedom globally. How should they continue?
• Moderator: Albana Shala (NL), president of the UNESCO’s IPDC presents her view on how the Nordic countries could and should improve their global partnership.
• Director of International Media Support, Jesper Højberg (DK)
• International director, Fojo Media Institute, Johan Romare (S)
• Professor Kristin Skare Orgeret (N)
• Director of Vikes, Juha Rekola (FIN)
15.30 Open space debate
Meet of your choice the four Nordic experts (above). Discuss, propose ideas, and be a part of the development of the international support of media freedom. Proposals will be considered and added to the recommendations from the conference.
16.15 Plenum and Conclusions
Panelists present their results from the open space debate.
The conference presents its conclusive statement including recommendations for future work and the continuation of elements from the conference.
16.45 Closing remarks
• Minister of Culture Bertel Haarder (DK)